The Dairy and Heritage Museum at Murgon recognises the importance of dairying in the early development of Queensland and especially in the South Burnett. Look out for the colourful ‘Cavalcade of Cows’ – large paintings in the shape of cows affixed to the fence.
While dairying is now almost extinct in many parts of the State, it was once a major rural industry employing tens of thousands of people. It was one of the foundation industries that helped Murgon spring into being at the turn of the 20th century.
The Museum’s displays are housed in the former Bank of New South Wales building (circa 1920) which was moved to the site in 1986. Separators, milk and cream cans, milking machines, butter churns, butter boxes, cheese presses … are all on display. A working three bail dairy with an original milk line (circa 1940) and a herringbone pipeline system are set up in the grounds and available for viewing.
Trinity House (c. 1893), an original Burnett slab construction homestead, and Castra (c. 1904). the first home built in Murgon, have been relocated to the Museum grounds and clearly depict the conditions under which the early pioneers lived. An early 20th century church, recently moved from Hivesville, has been set up as a chapel.
The Museum is open to the public between 9.30am and 12.30pm daily, or by appointment. The Museum welcomes tour groups and is particularly popular with schools. Butter making can be arranged for a small charge. Lunches and morning or afternoon teas are available upon request for a nominal fee.